Home > SES Frequently Asked Questions

What does the term in need of improvement mean?
Under No Child Left Behind, every state must set the goals that each school must meet. If a school does not make adequate yearly progress for two consecutive years that school becomes identified for school improvement.

What are supplemental educational services?
The term “supplemental educational services” refers to extra help provided to students in reading, language arts, and/or math. This extra help can be provided before or after school, on weekends, or during the summer.

How do I know if my child is eligible for supplemental educational services?
If your child qualifies for free or reduced price lunch and attends a Title I school that is designated as needing improvement for the third consecutive year, then your child is eligible.

Who provides the supplemental educational services to my child?
Supplemental educational services providers may be public or private school entities, public or private institutions of higher education, for profit or nonprofit organizations, or faith-based organizations. Organizations that provide distance learning technology are also eligible.

Where can I get a list of the supplemental educational service providers?
A list of providers can be obtained by opening the ESEA icon then “Guidance” on the OSPI web site: www.k12.wa.us.

How are the supplemental educational service providers selected?
Interested providers submit applications to the Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction. In order to be selected, providers must have demonstrated a record of effectiveness in improving student achievement. They must use instructional strategies that are of high-quality, based upon research, and designed to increase student achievement. Their services must also be consistent with the instructional programs of the school district and aligned with State academic content standards. Providers must apply to the state office annually.

How do I choose a supplemental educational service provider and what types of services can I expect my child to receive?
As a parent you know your child best. Talk to the providing agencies personally. Talk with your child’s teacher(s) and school administrators. Also, once you have selected a provider, stay involved with the process. Monitor and ask questions. The types of services that you can expect your child to receive could include, but are not limited to, tutoring, (qualified individuals providing additional support), remediation (qualified individuals providing assistance with basic skills that your child may need additional help in), and other interventions that would assist students in improving their academic skills.

Am I responsible for paying for the supplemental educational services?
No. Your school district pays for the supplemental educational services out of a portion of their Title I dollars. Once the program is set up between you, the district, and the provider, the payments are made by the school district to the provider. The maximum to be paid is either the actual cost of the services, or a district Title I per pupil allocation, whichever is lower.