“Learning must not stop when the last school bell rings.”
Our Mission Statement
Academic Link Outreach, not-for-profit organization, operates exclusively for Educational and Charitable purposes within the scope of section 501(c) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
Academic Link Outreach (ALO) acts as a voice to educate the public about the need to provide “beyond the school day” academic support for higher academic achievement of students. Our vision is that all students (grades K-12) will be more academically accountable, competitive and personally fulfilled as they progress through these crucial years. ALL students MUST be high school ready prior to entering ninth grade.
ALO develops and distributes community based, sustainable systems (programs and materials) that provide this additional support. Our programs and materials focus on academics, building relationships, and the positive protective factors that enable students to meet or exceed state standards, graduate from high school, and be better prepared for the workforce or college. The quality of one’s education directly impacts the individual’s economic independence; as well as workforce development and economic competitiveness at both the state, community, and national level.
The goals of Academic Link Outreach:
- Educate students, parents, and communities about the significant impact academic success will have on their future.
- Promote the positive protective factors: hope, leadership, resiliency, self-advocacy and responsibility; guaranteeing success in high school.
- Research and analyze existing data and current “beyond the school day” support systems and learning environments.
- Promote programs which connect students to role models to teach the value of education and how to thrive in a challenging learning environment.
- Create and facilitate additional learning opportunities in schools and communities beyond the school day.
- Guarantee academic support so students will be responsible and accountable to the school system.
- Promote focused parental involvement.
- Inspire students to excel and seek higher levels of academic success.
- Reduce youth violence and substance abuse by helping students develop a more “connected” attitude towards school, improve attendance, and achieve greater academic success.
- Make the educational “gap” so small that no student will fall through.
Growing up in Pullman, Washington, on a farm homesteaded by her great-grandfather, Jan Link knew at an early age that she wanted to be a teacher. She attended Washington State University, receiving a Master’s in Education and was an Elementary teacher, principal of elementary and high schools, and the first Curriculum Director in Philomath School District (Oregon), obtaining an Administrative Degree from the University of Oregon. Jan was Director of the Edmonds School District Elementary Summer School program for 10 years. Her service in education spans more than 50 years!
After “retiring” Jan opened an educational enrichment and tutoring center in Kirkland, continuing her passion for children’s academic success. Academic Link, in Kirkland, Washington continues to provide one-on-one academic enrichment and support to students. In 2006, she founded Academic Link Outreach, an educational non-profit, developing strategic community based, sustainable systems to provide beyond-the-school-day additional academic support.
Jan developed and implemented several successful data-driven, academic programs: KITE (Kids in Training to Excel), PATH To College Success and LEARNING LABS on the PATH to High School Success. Please see the website tabs for information on each of these programs.
Jan continues to share her passion and commitment for the academic success of students by educating the public through presentations to service groups, working with Washington State Legislators, meeting with local City and Community leaders and developing programs to serve students of Washington. She continues to “live” her favorite motto: Give a man a fish and he has food for the day; teach him how to fish and he has food for a lifetime.